LOS JERÓNIMOS, MADRID’S OTHER CATHEDRAL

San Jerónimo el Real, which is its real name, is situated next to the Prado Museum. Built in 1502 by order of the Catholic Monarchs, it is in a late-Gothic style with Renaissance influences and touches of typical Madrid architecture (stone and brick), although little is left of the original building after the many restructurings it has undergone.

Over its long life, this majestic building has served as the spiritual retreat for several monarchs, has been the stage for royal investitures and has even served as a cathedral, as in the wedding of King Alfonso XIII, for which the staircases leading up to its door were built in 1906.

One part of the old monastery now belongs to the Prado Museum, specifically the monastery’s old cloister, which is now known as Moneo’s Cube. The church of Los Jerónimos is the only gothic construction still standing in Madrid.